Tuesday 9 February 2016

The craft countdown - 8 DAYS

Good morning crafters.  Well, after an extensive search (and tidy!!), the scraper foil is not to be found.  So frustrating - I can see it.  Anyway, I'll nip out and buy some today.  In the meantime, I have done my blog post, but the finished piece needs to dry, so I won't be able to post a decent photo until tomorrow - however, this is todays play:

I started with some bottle tops.  I've kept these for so long, because they would most definitely come in handy.  I figured I could pop them in a reverse canvas, so dug out a little canvas I have:


Spookily enough, I had these printed card circles sitting on my desk - perfect! This helped me decided on my colour scheme


I cut the circles down - wishing with each one, I had the relevant punch


I embossed some card, and edged the frame


Cover the whole thing with gesso


I then covered the inside with Mod Podge glue, and sprinkled in some flakes - I've had these since the QVC days.  I think they might be paint, or chalk.  I'm not sure, but they're lovely.


I painted the frame with colours which will co-ordinate with my paper


And then dusted gesso over the top


I added a little frayed string, and then glued my bottle tops in place


I popped a couple of  dazzlers on the string


This tag was also sitting on my desk (it's a very busy desk), I chopped some mount board down to layer and give dimension, then cut the word "Enjoy" from my fav magazine


Now to play with the layout, adding flowers


Changing my mind, and removing flowers!


Then adding them again.....


I then filled each bottle top with glossy accents - this is the bit that's going to take a while to dry


Remove flowers :)


Leave to dry. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle that challenge tomorrow - the hunt for scraper foil will continue.


21 comments:

sheila joss said...

That idea would be lovely for remembering a party....you could put a little picture in each bottle top, the partly seen ones could be stuff like the decorations and food and the front ones little candid shots of the people.

Anne said...

You've done it again, Leonie. Another inspirational piece. Love Sheila's idea of photos in the bottle tops.

Anne (Northampton)

Anonymous said...

Another day down where is the time going. The framed picture looks great. Best wishes Jackie x

suebow said...

Leonie I keep seeing Jelly plates mentioned . Can you do something with them to see if I need one .Haven't a clue what you do with them but love the name .

Sue x

hollyberry said...

Love this little frame ,look forward to seeing it with the glossy accents dried as it changes so much. I too think Sheila's idea of photos from a party in them as tiny frames is a great idea.

Katrina Bufton said...

This is fabulous Leonie, what a great way to make a box frame. Love the bright colours and the fun use of bottle tops.
Katrina x

Ruth Kidd said...

Love this Leonie. It's great the way that dry-brushing the gesso blends all the colours together on the frame. I have some bottle tops rattling round the bottom of the recycling bin, so maybe I need to dig them out...

Sorry to have triggered a hunt and tidy of your craft room over the scraper foil. I came across my supply when I was looking for something else last week. I can remember being desperate to buy it at the time, but of course the packet is still unopened! So I could easily pop some sheets in the post to you if you can't get any.

Ruth x

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous I love the design and gorgeous colours.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Myra said...

Thank you Leonie. I'm learning a lot . It looked so complicated but you make it much simpler! Thank you!
Gel Nails?? I don't know ! Xxx

julie_woolston said...

Love it a brilliant creation
Hugs Julie xxx

Ruthieroo said...

Leonie, I wish I had your fabulous ideas! Loving your daily blog, hope you will carry it on when you are back at work. Can't wait to find out where you are going, hope it's Hochanda cos its on all the time in my house! ( but I will switch over if you are elsewhere!) love, Ruth

Cazro said...

8 days, yipee, when you read this it will only be 7 , wonder if you'll be on /TV on the 7th day or we will have to wait a little longer. Doing your daily blogs has helped you focus and I'm sure the time has gone quicker than you thought in the beginning. Love and hugs Caz

carol edwards said...

Hi Leoni another great project with clever ideas. Thanks for sharing x

karenlotty said...

great project, I would never have thought to a) use bottle tops to create beautiful craft pieces and b) to turn a canvas over and use the back! I think I have a couple of pictures hidden in a cupboard (because I don't like the images)....something else for me to try!

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Hi Leonie.
Thank you another great project.
Take care and have fun Kitty.

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Leonie, I wondered what you meant by a 'reverse' canvas, now I do haha !! love how it ends up like a shadow box. What a great idea for the bottle tops, I have packets of bottle tops that I bought years ago and never used, now I know how I could use mine. Looking forward to your final piccies when everything has dried.
Only a week to go, yippeeeeeeeeee !!
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Diane said...

What fun!! Time to dig out the bottle tops...or am sure hubby will provide me with more! Loving your textured altered art......and in your last post loved the piece WITH all the flowers still on but equally loved the finished piece as well. Isn't it fascinating to watch a project like this develop and evolve......thank you for sharing. Although perhaps it's time to take up cross stitch ....to give those poor inky fingers and nails a chance to recover before their new debut!!!!!!!😉 x

Tracy Welham said...

Gorgeous, I would hang that in my beach hut, if I had one! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

joyce said...

You have some great ideas Leonie.Love following your posts and can't wait to see which crafting channel[if any]you end up on.xxJoyce

Heather Treble said...

Hi Leonie,
What a great idea, I would never have thought of using the canvas this way.
Thanks for sharing,
Heather

Unknown said...

You have some really creative ideas. I'm struggling with a Valentine card!
SueB