Thursday 24 December 2015

55 days - crafty countdown - the last Chritmas Card

Yesterday I said my mum had 3 dogs - my ability to count has really gone down hill!! They have 2 dogs - which to be honest, is still a house full. And I'm afraid yesterdays pressie won't be up for grabs, as Doc chewed it up!  Sorry.

This will be my last little Christmas card in this countdown - and again I had a rummage and came up with pretty papers, and one of my favourite products, Cosmic Shimmer PVA.  I brought with me some of the Tim Holtz Distress Stains, I love the Picket Fence.  It's white, but not as heavy as an acrylic paint.  You can see here, it lightens the paper slightly for me:


I created a circle, as my plan is to create a mistletoe wreath.  I saw such a pretty one whilst I was out shopping, so got my inspiration from that


I didn't bring paint with me, but my mums cosmic shimmer is already coloured, and dries with a raised finish.  Start with a blob, and pull the PVA down so it trails off, and forms a point.  I covered the white circle with the little leaves, making sure they point in different directions



As you can see above


I needed to dry the speeding process up (it's Christmas eve, and I've prosecco chilling) so I used my heat gun.  The colour really comes out, and the shine of the pearlescent PVA shows really well on this picture


To create more depth, I used a watercolour pencil in some of the gaps


And then I used a waterbrush to move the pencil crayon and give a really nice soft finish



I made sure I didn't cover the white completely so I will have shading


Now I need the mistletoe berries, for this I used the Cosmic Shimmer again, but the white pearl.  Again I dried it with my heat gun


To emphasis the wreath I applied Distress Ink around the edge of the card up to the wreath.  I left the centre, again to create depth


I love this picture, as it looks rubbish!!  Sometimes (often!!) when I'm doing something I look at it and think - that's awful.  And then it's a challenge to try and make it look half decent.  Don't give up.....well, not until you've spent over 3 hours on it :)


I like trying different layers as well, they really do make a difference to the finish of the card, as you will see from these 3 photo's




I cut the card down, as you can see.  And then inked around the edge, to make the distressing more even


Gently remove the ink which has covered the white of the mistletoe berries with a sponge.


I then added a sentiment, a lovely red ribbon, and finially I used glitter glue to add just a few white sequins


I'm really chuft with this one - I'll make sure Doc doesn't get to eat it.



Okay, Prosecco time.  Have a wonderful Christmas Eve everyone, I will join you again tomorrow xxx

10 comments:

liz spooner said...

Hi Leonie, I hope that you and yours has a lovely festive season, and especially the dogs.xx

Margaret A said...

Happy prosecco time 😊 this is simple and stunning. Merry christmas x

ohjay said...

have a lovely Christmas and a peaceful New Year, it will be February before you know it. love and hugs xxx

karenlotty said...

What a brilliant way of using the PVA pearl glue I might just have to have a play! Hope you enjoyed the Proseco Merry Christmas Leonie

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Happy Christmas Leonnie.
Have fun Kitty.

carol edwards said...

Happy Christmas Leoni and doggies, enjoy your day with family. Love the mistletoe wreath x

MFM said...

Brilliant again. I think the dogs deserve some fun at Christmas and your work of art just happened to be there.
Have a great day. MFM xx

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous Christmas card and loving the beautiful wreath! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Anonymous said...

Lovely how this all comes together st the end. The wine is well deserved! Hope you are having a nice Christmas. Best wishes Jackie x

Myra said...

Happy Christmas Leonie,
A very effective card. Well worth the time and effort.
Love Myra xx