Sunday 13 December 2015

Crafty countdown....65 days to go

Hi crafters, thank you for popping on by again!! This blog post is a little tricky to photograph, as its long!! I've gone down the real messy crafting this time - let's see if you like this, or prefer it a little more refined.

I've carried on with yesterday's theme, as I still had stars left, and love using the same products to get a different look. 

 I started with a piece of mdf (not Meg!!) that was already painted:

I arranged the stars and got an idea of layout. I then added stencil detail, using blue paint and a stencil brush 


Once I stencilled the whole mdf pieces I then added gesso with a sponge - this adds texture, but also allows me to see the stencil work underneath:

Next I wanted to use the same stamp I used yesterday, but wanted it to look different, so decided to cut it up:

I matted and layer the stamp images onto card, but the words which were difficult to cut out needed to be stamped directly onto the plaque, so I had to mask of the words I didn't want to ink. This is easily done with a post it note pad:

Next I threaded string through two of the holes, and threaded some of my stars:


The moon (which I have painted silver) was covered in glue, then popped into a tub of flakes. I then suspended it from string which I tied to the string at the top of the placque:

I quite like my swinging little moon:


Oops, I forgot, I also went round some of the swirls created with the stencil, with a black fine tipped drawing pen. This just emphasises the detail a little.

Next, I added my other stars and the words to make up the saying. I added glitter glue, and also glossy accents to the words. I brushed over with white paint to add extra texture to my design, and to give it that rough "sketchy" look.

Gosh, that's it!! To finish I blasted it with a clear super gloss varnish. Because I'm using mdf, the varnish doesn't shine as much as expected, but does give it a more professional finish.....so, smooth or "sketchy and rough"? Have a play, and see what you like :)



13 comments:

Unknown said...

Like it wonderful so like what your doing hope to get to a work shop at some point soon hugs Joy xxx

jac777 said...

Lovely Leonie :) Soo loving your blog again & wish you loads of happeeeees for the future :)
Hope you can keep your blog going...you're so inspirational:)
xxx

Pam B said...

That's so cool, love it

Happy Crafting

Pam

BridgetCG said...

Brilliant idea Leonie, love the moon. Bx

Cally said...

Another lovely piece of work.
Hugs x

whyducks said...

Love this.

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous and great tutorial too. I can see how much you are enjoying getting inky mitts. Enjoy your time and so looking forward to seeing your new adventure in 2016.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Myra said...

Lovely but I preferred yesterday's . However you are making me think! That's no mean feat in itself!
Keep up the good work - this year will fly by now!!
Love, Myra

Sarah Brennan said...

I love messy - not so keen on glitter, but paint / gilding wax / sprays / gesso / distress ink - the more layers the better. Love the way you've mixed stamping directly onto the painted MDF and onto paper which has been stuck on!

Margaret A said...

Like this one more...but both fab x

Margaret A said...

Like this one more...but both fab x

Tracy Welham said...

Love it! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Anne Chilvers said...

Another lovely creation. I remember once I cut out the words from a stamp like you did when making a card...it was one of those light bulb moments for me when I thought, "Hang on you don't have to use the stamp exactly as it is !"...just shows what crafting is all about x